This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'External Clinical Advice on Treatment Injuries'.

31 October 2019 
Gloria Ashton 
[FYI request #11397 email] 
Tēnā koe Gloria 
Your Official Information Act request, reference: GOV-002013 
Thank you for your request of 07 October 2019, asking for the following information under the Official 
Information Act 1982 (the Act): 
I am requesting any information held by ACC regarding the process by which ACC chooses a 
health practitioner to give External Clinical Advice on a Treatment Injury claim, any guidelines 
provided to the practitioner regarding how to give External Clinical Advice, the practitioners legal 
obligations to ACC and to the claimant in giving External Clinical Advice. 
External Clinical Advisors  
ACC has a database of External Clinical Advisors who have a wide range of clinical specialities and 
subspecialties, who are able to provide advice on claims made for injuries caused by treatment (i.e. a 
treatment injury). 
When we require additional External Clinical Advisors, we contact the relevant professional body for 
recommendations. We then contact the recommended specialist and ask them to submit a CV for 
review. At the same time, we confirm the specialist is registered and holds an annual practicing 
certificate in the relevant discipline. 
In instances where a specialist is not available to provide advice on a particular claim, or there is a 
potential or actual conflict of interest, ACC staff may approach a health practitioner directly to provide 
Typically, a conflict or potential conflict occurs when the health professional has seen the patient 
previously, or a col eague has treated the patient. Other times it may be a perceived or potential issue, 
such as having interactions in a social setting or serving on committees together. If any of these occur 
and there might be a perceived issue, the health practitioner should decline to provide advice. 
Documents and guidelines provided to the specialist about External Medical Advice 
Attached to this response are three documents we send to the specialist when external medical advice 
is needed for a claim. These documents are as follows: 
1.  Providing External Advice 
2.  TI40 Obtaining ECA on treatment injury claim (example letter for Appendix 1, Document 1 and 
Appendix in Document 3) 
3.  ACC Treatment Injury Cover Assessment Centre: External Clinical Advice Guide (as at May 2018) 
ACC takes privacy seriously 
We have withheld a staff name in Document 1 under section 9(2)(a) of the Act, to protect the person’s 
privacy. In doing so, we considered the public interest in making the name available and determined 
that it does not outweigh the need to protect their privacy. 
ACC is happy to answer your questions 
If you have any questions, you can email me at [email address]. 

If you are not happy with this response, you have the right to make a complaint to the Ombudsman. 
Information about how to do this is available at or by phoning 0800 
802 602. 
Nāku iti noa, nā 
Emma Coats 
Manager Official Information Act Services 
Government Engagement & Support 
Accident Compensation Corporation 
Page 2 of 2 

Document Outline