This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Withdrawing of ACC Funds'.

04 October 2019 
Anthony Jordan 
[FYI request #11230 email] 
Tēnā koe Anthony 
Your Official Information Act request, reference: GOV-001673 
Thank you for your email of 16 September 2019, asking for the following information under the Official 
Information Act 1982 (the Act): 
Please supply information that allows: 
1.   Government to obtain money from the ACC Fund that doesn't have a financial return of 
2.  Government to obtain money from the ACC fund that has a financial return of Interest/Dividends 
3.  For the period National was in power pre this Labour term, how much did National obtain from 
the ACC fund that was not bearing of interest 
4.  For the period National was in power pre this Labour term, how much did National obtain from 
the ACC fund that was bearing of interest 
5.  Of total monies obtained from the ACC fund by the National Government, what total is stil  
outstanding overdue 
6.  For the period Labour has been in power, how much has Labour obtained from the ACC fund that 
is not bearing of interest 
7.  For the period Labour has been in power, how much has Labour obtained from the ACC fund that 
is bearing of interest 
8.  Who authorises such payments to Government   
How ACC is funded 
The money ACC collects to pay for injury related costs goes into one of five accounts: 
•  The Work Account which covers injuries at work. This is funded by the Work levy that employers 
and self-employed working in New Zealand pay. 
•  The Earners account which covers non-work personal injuries for employed people (not 
including motor-vehicle injuries). This is funded by the Earners’ levy, which is a flat rate paid by 
all employees and self-employed on their earnings. 
•  The Motor Vehicle Account which covers injuries on public roads involving a moving vehicle. 
This is funded by the Motor Vehicle levy, which is comprised of a petrol levy and a portion of 
your vehicle licence (registration) fee. Non-petrol vehicles pay the whole levy through the 
vehicle registration.  
•  The Non-Earners’ Account which covers people who are injured and don’t pay levies, for 
example, children or beneficiaries. This is funded by the government through general tax. 
•  The Treatment Injury Account which covers people with injuries caused by, or during, medical 
treatment. This is funded by both the Earners’ and Non-Earners’ Account depending on whether 
the person is employed. 
The money that sits in each of these accounts can only be used for the purposes outlined for each 
account under section 166 of the Accident Compensation Act 2001 (the AC Act). How the funds in each 
account are sourced and applied is it set out in legislation. 
The Government can take money from the Non-Earners’ Account 
The Government can take money from ACC’s accounts in accordance with the AC Act. Section 227 of the 
AC Act provides the application and source of funds for the Non-Earners’ Account, including that the 
funds for the account are to come from the Government. Section 227 also states under 227(4) that the 

Minister for ACC may direct ACC to repay the Government any surplus funds held in the Non-Earners’ 
Account. Further information on this can be found through  
As the AC Act is available to view publicly online, we have not reproduced it here. This decision is made 
under section 18(d) of the Act. 
The Government has not obtained money from ACC’s accounts 
The governments named in your request did not obtain any money from ACC’s accounts and as such 
there are no funds outstanding. 
We are therefore declining this part of your request as the information does not exist. This decision is 
made under section 18(e) of the Act.   
How you can get in touch 
If you have any questions, you can email me at [email address]. 
If you are not happy with this response, you have the right to make a complaint to the Ombudsman. 
Information about how to do this is available at or by phoning 0800 
802 602. 
Nāku iti noa, nā 
Emma Coats 
Manager Official Information Act Services 
Government Engagement & Support 
Accident Compensation Corporation 
Page 2 of 2 

Document Outline