26 July 2019
[FYI request #10628 email]
Tēnā koe Sarah
Thank you for your email of 29 June 2019 to the Ministry of Education requesting the following
You are currently running an advisory group to review the physical restraint guidelines. Can
you please provide the following:
- name of the members of the advisory group and the organisations they represent
- the terms of reference for the group
- the name of the group's chair/convener, and the organisation they represent
- the name and position of the person(s) the group is reporting to, and the expectations on the
group for progress and final reporting to said person(s)
- copies of agendas and accompanying papers for all advisory group meetings
- copies of minutes and all meeting notes from advisory group meetings
- copies of papers and advice provided to the advisory group
- copies of advice and papers from the advisory group given to the person they are reporting
to, the Ministry or Minister responsible for the work
- information about the decision making process for constituting the advisory group, the reason
for its establishment, and why, how and when individual members were appointed.
- the groups forward meeting schedule
- information about budget for the work and renumeration rates for members of the advisory
Can you please also provide:
- since 1 January 2017, copies of reports/advice/papers provided to the Ministry of Education
or Minister responsible about the physical restraint guidelines from the Teaching Council (or
then Education Council), and the Ministry's/Ministers response to these.
- copies of all guidelines for schools related to physical restraint and seclusion/timeout room
issued since 1995. Please include updated and amended versions.
- information about membership (names and organisations represented) of advisory groups
or equivalent that the ministry has convened since 2000 to discuss or review guidelines or
guidance related to physical restraint or seclusion/timeout rooms. Please also indicate the
date range these groups were active, and the names these groups were known by.
- since 1 Jan 2016, correspondence from unions, union spokespeople, teacher
representatives, and NZSTA related to the physical restraint guidelines, and any subsequent
responses from officials or the minister.
Your request has been considered under the Official Information Act 1982 (the Act).
National Of ice, Mātauranga House, 33 Bowen Street, Wellington 6011
PO Box 1666, Wel ington 6140. Phone: +64 4 463 8000 Fax: +64 4 463 8001
The Ministry needs to extend the timeframe of our response to your request, pursuant to
section 15A(1)(b) of the Act, as consultations necessary to make a decision on the request
are such that a proper response to the request cannot reasonably be made within the original
time limit. For this reason, you can expect to receive a response to your request by 23 August
Please be advised that should you have any concerns regarding this extension you have the
right to ask an Ombudsman to investigate our decision to extend the timeframe. You can do
this by writing to [email address]
or Office of the Ombudsman, PO Box
10152, Wellington 6143.
Nāku noa, nā
Manager Official and Parliamentary Information
Government, Executive and Ministerial Services