This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Is biological sex relevant to health promotion?'.

Level 16 | 101 The Terrace | Wellington 6011 
PO Box 2142 | Wellington 6140 | New Zealand 
Ph +64 4 917 0060 
8 July 2019 
C Montague 
[FYI request #10499 email] 
To C Montague 
This letter is in response to your Official Information Act (OIA) request to the Health Promotion 
Agency/Te Hiringa Hauora (HPA) on 10 June 2019. Your request stated:  
1.  I noticed on your website you have a quiz that asks people whether they are 
male or female in order to assess whether their drinking habits are riskyI was wondering 
why your agency makes a distinction between male and female, in this case and in many 
other health promotion campaigns. Could you please refer me to any evidence your agency 
holds that suggests male people are in any way different to female people? 

People taking the quiz are asked to self-select as male or female because a person’s biological 
sex can influence the way their body reacts to alcohol. Evidence can be found on in 
the sections on Men & women and What happens when you drink alcohol? 
2.  How does your agency define 'male' and 'female'? 
The Health Promotion Agency (HPA) does not define male or female. People self-select male or 
3.  Is there any evidence of medical or biological differences between male people and female 
people that your office is aware of? 
See answer to question 1 above. 
4.  May I please see copies of any correspondence from 1 January 2018 which refer to 'sex 
self-declaration', the Births Deaths and Marriages Act/Bill, and or 'self-identification' of 
biological sex impacting the Health Promotion Agency's work?  

5.  In particular, may I please see any correspondence between District Health Boards and the 
Health Promotion Agency that address any of these topics? 
No such correspondence exists therefore the final two questions are declined Section 18(e) of the 
OIA as the information does not exist. 

You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision. 
Information about how to make a complaint is available at or 
freephone 0800 802 602. 
Yours sincerely 
Cath Edmondson 
General Manager, Policy, Research and Advice