Private Bag 911, Timaru
Telephone 03 687 2100
Facsimile 03 688 0238
02 May 2019
By email: [FYI request #10082 email]
Official Information Act Request
I refer to your Official Information Act request received on 12 April 2019 in which you specifically
requested the following:
Could you please advise whether the following gender-affirming healthcare services are funded by
the South Canterbury District Health Board for transgender patients, and whether the services are
• Puberty blockers
• Hormone therapy
• Facial hair removal
• Breast augmentation
• Voice training
• Facial feminization surgery
Could you please also advise:
• Are transgender healthcare providers under the South Canterbury District Health Board
encouraged to follow Oliphant et al’s (2018) Guidelines for gender affirming healthcare for
gender diverse and transgender children, young people and adults in Aotearoa New Zealand? If
not, which guidelines do they follow, if any?
• Is a readiness assessment required to access gender-affirming healthcare services? (This is an
assessment of readiness for treatment from a medical and psychosocial perspective, as well as
whether the client understands the risks and benefits of treatment, and is sometimes referred to
as a ‘mental health assessment’).
• If a readiness assessment is required to access gender-affirming healthcare services, who carries
out this assessment? Is this assessment funded by the South Canterbury District Health Board?
Does the assessment use an informed consent model?
• What steps is the South Canterbury District Health Board taking to improve healthcare provision
for transgender New Zealanders?
All services related to gender identity are tertiary services provided by Christchurch District Health
Board. Gender reassignment is not funded in New Zealand.
You have the right to seek an investigation and review of our decision by the Ombudsman. The
Ombudsman's Office can be contacted on 0800 802 602 or on-line at http://www.ombudsman.parliament.nz/.
SC District Health Board