This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Evidence required for a person's registered sex to be corrected to 'indeterminate''.

22 January 2019 
45 Pipitea Street Wel ington, 6011 
Phone +64 4 495 7200 
Fax +64 4 382 3589 
Jess Mio 
Email [email address] 
[email address] 
Dear Jess 
Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) request OIA 18/19-0369 
Thank you for your request under the Official Information Act received by the Department 
of Internal Affairs (Department) on 2 December 2018. 
In a letter sent to you from the Deputy Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages, 
the Deputy Registrar-General stated that "the Registrar-General may change the sex on a 
person's New Zealand birth record to indeterminate if the sex was indeterminate at the 
time of birth and was incorrectly recorded as female or male. [. .] To make a correction of 
this nature the [Births, Deaths, Marriages, and Relationships Registration Act 1995] Act 
requires the Registrar-General to make inquiries into whether the person's sex was 
recorded incorrectly at birth. This requires sufficient evidence to be provided to the 
Registrar-General establishing that the time the person's birth was registered their sex was 
incorrectly recorded at birth as female or male rather than indeterminate." 
You requested 
Could you please specify what is classed as 'sufficient evidence' in this context?   
Error of Fact 
Any person may request that the Registrar General correct information held on any Birth, 
Death and Marriage registers under Section 84 of the Births, Deaths, Marriages, and 
Relationships Registration Act 1995 (Act) should they believe there is an error of fact. 
Section 84 of the Act al ows the Registrar General to correct a record should he be satisfied 
that the Department has made a clerical error, or the record has been recorded correctly as 
per the information provided at the time of registration, but there is sufficient evidence to 
support that the information was incorrectly provided to the Department. 
Sufficient Evidence 
To amend a record shown to be registered with incorrect information, the Registrar-General 
must be in possession of sufficient evidence that clearly supports the claim that incorrect 
information was provided at the time of registration. 

All requests received by the Registrar-General are considered on a case-by-case basis. The 
level of sufficient evidence is relevant to each request and therefore cannot be 
Where a request is made to amend the sex on your birth record from ‘female’ to 
‘indeterminate’, the following applies. As ‘sex’ is provided to the Department on the birth 
registration (completed by the parents) and the birth notice (provided by the hospital), the 
Registrar-General must be satisfied that the information provided on both forms was 
incorrect. Registration of a birth only occurs when the two documents match. 
Sufficient evidence in such situations may include, but is not limited to: amended copies of 
hospital records confirming that the sex was recorded incorrectly at the time of birth, and 
written evidence from a doctor confirming that a medical examination has been undertaken 
which supports the amendment of the recorded sex. 
Based on communications with you, the Department considers that a change of hospital 
records and the issuance of a new birth notice, or statement regarding the incorrect 
information recorded on the original birth notice may be sufficient evidence to support the 
amendment of your birth record. It is understood that you have been in touch with the Bay 
of Plenty District Health Board (BOPDHB) and that they have confirmed that your original 
files have been destroyed and therefore cannot be reviewed. It is noted however that they 
have provided information on what would be required for them to write a statement 
supporting your request in lieu of the original files. You may wish to consider discussing this 
matter further with the BOPDHB in order to obtain a written statement supporting the 
amendment of your registered sex. 
Please note that all evidence must confirm that the error was made at the time of your 
Further Information 
At this time, the Registrar-General is not satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to support 
claims that your sex was recorded incorrectly at the time of your birth. 
There are further steps you may wish to consider should you disagree with the Registrar-
General’s assessment of your request. 
1.  You may contact the Wellington Family Court seeking an order under Section 85 of 
the Act. Section 85 of the Act allows the Family Court to consider proposed 
corrections on cases of difficulty or dispute, and rule either in the favour of the 
requester or the Registrar-General. If the Family Court believes you have sufficient 
evidence to show that the record is in fact incorrect, they may order the Registrar-
General to amend the record. 
2.  The Births, Deaths, Marriages, and Relationships Registration Bill is currently 
awaiting its second reading before the House which if passed into law, will allow for 
a person to make a request to the Department to change their registered sex 
without the need to obtain a court order. The changes wil  al ow a person to seek to 
be recorded as ‘Male’, ‘Female’, ‘Intersex’, or ‘X (unspecified)’. Please note that 

‘Indeterminate’ is not an option within the Bill. A change of sex marker to 
‘indeterminate’ will still require sufficient evidence that an error has been made, or 
an appropriate court order. 
If you have any further questions regarding birth records or wish to obtain more information 
on your possible next steps, please do not hesitate to contact Adrian Jarvis, Deputy 
Registrar-General at [email address].  
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision.  
Information about how to make a complaint is available at 
or freephone 0800 802 602. 
Yours sincerely 
Briget Ridden   

Manager Branch Development and Support 
Service Delivery and Operations 

Document Outline