Shed 39, 2 Fryat Quay
Pipitea, Wellington 6011
4 March 2019
PO Box 11646
File Ref: OIAP-7-9632
T 04 384 5708
F 04 385 6960
[FYI request #7104 email]
Dear Mr Randle
Request for information 2019-026
I refer to your request for information dated 1 February 2019, which was received by Greater
Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) on 4 February 2019. You have requested the following
“I am interested in the proposed GWRC 2018/19 Annual Plan and, in particular, how the Transport
Rates have been calculated.
1) Can you please provide me with a complete copy of the detailed calculations that were used to
provide the transport rates information in the draft 2019/20 Annual Plan?
I assume that the Transport Rates Calculation information is held in electronic spreadsheet form
and I would prefer it was provided to me in its complete, original electronic format as I wish to
understand how the calculations were made including the formula used. Please advice if this
assumption is not correct and advice what format this information is held. If this information is not
to be provided in its complete, original electronic format, please provide the grounds for the GWRC
refusal to provide this information in the requested format.
I am also interested in the information related to the 2019/20 Transport Rates provided to
councillors at council workshops.
2) Can I please have a copy agenda (including date/time, location and attendees) of each council
workshops held at which the 2019/20 Transport Rates were discussed?
3) Can I please have a copy of any reports, presentations or other information provided in
preparation for, or during or subsequent to each council workshops held at which the 2019/20
Transport Rates were discussed ?
4) Can I please have a copy of any meeting minutes or meeting notes from each council workshops
held at which the 2019/20 Transport Rates were discussed ?
I am also interested in changes to the Transport Reserve.
5) Can you please provide me with a listing of the changes (contributions and withdrawals) from the
Transport Reserve over the past three years including the source for the contributions and the target
for the withdrawals?”
GWRC’s response follows:
We assume your question relates to GWRC 2019/20 Annual Plan. GWRC’s 2018/19 Annual Plan,
including the Transport Rates calculation, has been provided to you in April 2018.
1) The proposed GWRC 2019/20 public transport rates have not been finalised. This will be
available after 31 March 2019. This part of your request will be processed once the document is
2) Transport rates were discussed in general terms at the following annual plan workshops:
21 November 2018, 9:30 a.m., Walter St Council Chambers
13 December 2018, 9:30 a.m., Walter St Council Chambers.
Greater Wellington Regional Council workshops are not minuted so who attended is not recorded.
Therefore, this information cannot be provided on the basis it does not exist.
3) The presentations on the Annual Plan referred to above are attached.
4) Greater Wellington Regional Council workshops are not minuted; therefore, this information
cannot be provided on the basis it does not exist.
5) The changes to the Transport Reserve are set out in the table below. The source for the Transport
Reserve contributions comes from savings within public transport. Please note that the terms ‘transfers to
reserves’ and ‘transfers from reserves’ are interchangeable and are used for internal accounting purposes
Year Ending Year Ending Year Ending
Transfers to reserves
Transfer from Reserves
If you have any concerns with the decision(s) referred to in this letter, you have the right to request
an investigation and review by the Ombudsman under section 27(3) of the Local Government
Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.
RESPONSE TO OIA
PAGE 2 OF 3
General Manager, Corporate Services
RESPONSE TO OIA
PAGE 3 OF 3