8 February 2018
[FYI request #7037 email]
OFFICIAL INFORMATION REQUEST
Thank you for your request to the Department of Conservation, dated 19 December 2017
made under the Official Information Act 1982 (the Act). You have requested the
Your questions and our responses are listed below:
1) When did 1080 pellets arrive at 20 Joan Gaskell Drive?
The pellets arrived at the Whitianga Base at 20 Joan Gaskell Drive on 8 June 2017.
2) Please provide the dates of the first and last applications of 1080 over Moehau.
This information has been supplied to you in a previous official information request
3) Please state the locations for storage of the 1080 pellets used on Moehau with dates.
The attached Toxic Bait Tracking Sheet Otahu/Moehau provides the dates that 1080
baits were stored for the Moehau operation. The location of where the baits were
stored has been withheld under section 6(c) of the Act to preserve maintenance of the
law as the Department may choose to use these sites for any future operations.
4) When was 1080 stored at Stony Bay (first and last dates)?
The toxin was put into storage on 18 October 2017 and used in its entirety to complete
the Moehau operation on 21 November 2017.
5) What was done with the left over 1080 pellets?
No bait was left over from the Moehau operation.
6) Please provide a complete tracking record for Moehau aerial poisoning in 2017.
The following documents fall within the scope of your request and are attached:
19 October 2017 Toxic bait tracking sheet
Released in part
Department of Conservation Te Papa Atawhai
Kirikiriroa / Hamilton Office
Private Bag 3072, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand
18 October 2017 Hazardous substance store
Released in part
I have decided to release the relevant parts of the documents listed above, subject to
information being withheld under one or more of the following sections of the Official
Information Act, as applicable:
• Personal contact details of officials, under section 9(2)(a) – to protect the privacy
• Names of organisations and approved handlers, under section 9(2)(k) – to
prevent the disclosure or use of official information for improper advantage
• Maintain the effective conduct of public affairs, undersection 9(2)(g)(ii) – to
protect Ministers, members of the organisation and employees from improper
pressure or harassment.
In making my decision, I have considered the public interest considerations in section
9(1) of the Official Information Act. I do not consider my decision to withhold the
information is outweighed by other considerations which render it desirable, in the
public interest, to make it available.
You are entitled to seek an investigation and review of my decision by writing to an
Ombudsman as provided by section 28(3) of the Official Information Act.
Hauraki Waikato Taranaki Region