This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Inclusive Education Advisory Group OIA Act'.

Teaching Council Inclusive Education Advisory Group (TCEIAG) Meeting 
5 November 2021  
9:00am – 4:15pm 
Frian Wadia (Chair), Thecla Moffat, Liz Cassidy, Jude MacArthur, Heather 
Lear, Maree Kirk, Tracey McConach, Jenny Ritchie to 11AM 
Pauline Barnes (DCE-Professional Services), Jayne Franklin (Manager 
Teacher Capability and Collaboration), Poppy Shelton (Analyst), Libby 
Treager (Senior Analyst), Kel y Turner (Team Leader), Susan Fogarty 
(Communications and Advisor Manager), Fiona  Majendie- Williams (Senior 
Communications Advisor) 
Chloe Stokes 
1.  Karakia / Convenors Update /What’s on top 
Meeting started at 9:36AM by the Chair who led the group in a karakia. 
Frian noted that the apology from Chloe Stoke. Also noted was the resignation of Matthew Truman. This 
creates a gap with no disability representation on the advisory group. 
ACTION:  To inform the Governing Council the gap in advisory group in disability representation. 
   Change Tracey’s email to the principal one 
2.  Minutes from the previous meeting 
That the TCIEAG approves the minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 19 
March 2021 
Amendment to clarify ACTION:  The Teaching Council consider including ITE panel members from 
inclusive education, who are not Registered Teachers, with comprehensive understanding of up-to-date 
inclusive practice onto ITE panels (from March 2021 hui) 
3.  Teaching Council Workplan Update 
Pauline gave an update on the workplan and what has progressed from the last meeting in March 
noting the work being done on the consultation of the proposed fees increase. This has included 
discussions with peak bodies and seeking assistance on how they would like the TC to engage with their 
The TC is also considering options in service levels that may reduce the fees. This option would mean 
there would be a reduction in service. Peak Bodies is seeking an understanding from peak bodies and  

the questions ensuring feedback from the profession. This is an on-going process, and the TC is hoping 
to begin formal consultation in the New Year. 
Second key piece of work is the COVID situation which has ever changing advice. Firstly, TC is reviewing 
ITE students, as lockdowns impact their practical experience and secondly, the vaccination requirement 
which impacts the providers. The mandate has affected some students who are in their 3rd year and are 
questioning whether they can graduate without a vaccination. Communication and guidance with the 
profession in this area is ongoing. 
When a Kaiako is dismissed in a Kura, there is a statutory law of mandatory reporting; the Teaching 
Council is considering a change to the law, so this is not required. 
The current work also includes the professional growth cycle which has good uptake, and we are 
working with those who require assistance in starting this programme. 
The changes in the law for Competence and Conduct is going through the house.  These changes wil  
streamline the process while keeping a robust review when considering complaints. The Teaching 
Council is looking at how the law changes wil  impact staff, current processes, and policy. The transition 
will be a 12-month process once the law change is passed. 
DCE-PB noted that assistance may be sought on how to communicate the findings of the review to the 
families who may feel the process did not resolve the issue.  This is not always possible by the Teaching 
Council as the focus in on the Kaiako and not necessarily the whanau/student centric. Sometimes what 
the complainant is looking for is rebuilding the relationship – TC wil  take this up with the teacher.  We 
can refer people to other places i.e., ombudsman, privacy, and human rights – as we have good 
relationships with them. TC do not have mandate to sit with the family and resolve many of these 
Several concerns were raised by TCIEAG members as they felt like the review to consider issues of 
fairness and rights for students and whanau is not being done currently. The process is ineffective for 
students and families when relating to matters of discrimination, unfair punitive measures and harsh 
discipline which does not consider the student’s disability. Queries were made about how CAC consider 
inclusive teaching practice and their understanding of it, as currently there is no cohesive 
understanding of inclusion across schools and education sector. 
PB clarified CAC look at teacher and the offence, and if it is about inclusion then the relevant standard 
will be used to determine the finding. If it is a conduct case this is slightly more complicated. The issues 
of rights and kiwi stand downs and exclusions were being considered by MOE as a Dispute Resolution 
Panel/Process and did not fal  under TC CAC work. 
TC is in process of publishing the ITE feedback and will send members the link on how the ITE 
programme could achieve being more inclusive. Members made suggestions to have inclusive advisors 
on the panel for the ITE EC programme. KT shared their variety of panellists, some of whom have 
worked within inclusive spaces especially in the tertiary environment.  
Members suggested that TC and MOE should look together at standards for inclusive teaching practice 
and expectations across mainstream education settings. 
RECOMMENDATION: To have non-teaching / teaching inclusive education advisors with lived experience 
and expertise to sit on the ITE panels. 
ACTION:  Send TCIEAG members the link to the ITE report and consider how the ITE programme could 
be more inclusive and how this could be incentivised and achieved. 

4.  Inclusive Education Competency Framework Update 
PB and JF KT 

DCE- PS introduced this mahi and handed over to JF. JF noted this work wil  take guidance from tapasa 
and current frameworks and wil  seek advice from TCEIAG to ensure that teachers are developing their 
skills. Not much to report right now as TC are reviewing what the gaps are and what would be useful in 
terms of a competency framework or something else/similar. 
1.  What themes within capabilities need to be used in the framework? 
2.  What model of framework would be useful for the profession? 
Breakout rooms were created for a brainstorming session: 
JR LC MK and PB 
HL JF and Jude 
FW KT the TMS (2) 
Teaching Council made notes and wil  consider the suggestions. 
questions to go out to members 
TC to feedback out to members break out session discussion 
Pauline left the meeting at 10:38  

Report back from Disability Studies 2021 conference 
PS joined the room at 10:38  
FW reported the conference’s key discussions on ableism in education and across other spaces of 
disabled people’s lives, and the need to identify ableism and address it. Lots of real-life stories which 
were empowering. 
Some key takeaways were on how policy and practice can create ableism, segregation, exclusion, and 
strip away humanity of disabled people. Educators acknowledged the trauma they created for students 
and their attempts to shift practices to become more inclusive. FW stated the conversations heard and 
experiences shared at the conference were experienced by many disabled learners and their whanau 
but are not always seen/heard in the profession. We need to get more of these discussions out in 
education spaces.   
Poppy discussed her attendance with another colleague. There was rich information, with broad topics 
that spanned education and life experiences. Suggestions from the conference on how the Teaching 
Council can learn from what is currently being considered. These will be shared once finalised. Poppy 
noted that there is a clear need for better inclusion and the movement against ableism is not waiting.  It 
could happen without the Teaching Council, so we need to think about this space and how to engage 
with it. 
Jude agreed and shared that the work done around the disposable humanity project was a shocking 
reminder of the discrimination history and Heather stated history needs to be considered to help us 
build a future that includes and values our disabled communities. Everyone agreed Teaching Council 
needs a programme like Unteach Racism to Unteach Ableism. TC can consider and address this through 
the ITE lever and extension of the unteach racism app.  
There was a query about what if any internal policy/strategy guides inclusion and attitudes towards 
diversity in TC. 

Susan and Fiona joined the hui at 10:45AM 
RECOMMENDATION: The TC governing council to consider development of an Inclusion and Diversity 
Policy/Strategy that guides internal organisational practice and the outward work that we do with the 
ACTION: Poppy to share back with TCIEAG the internal piece of work that emerged because of attending 
the disability studies conference.     
6  Disability Commissioner collaboration for the International Day of Disabled 
Persons – seeking ideas 
SF and FMW introduced this topic 
Jenny R – left the hui at 10:56 
Fiona shared the seminar asked for ideas that TC can consider for the IDDP. A hui is set with TC CE and 
the HRC regarding this and TCIEAG members hope to hear back when possible. 
Members expressed desire for Unteach Racism to be extended and a similar program/app launched for 
Unteach Ableism. This is depended on resourcing and collaboration with HRC, seems a great idea but 
not doable at short notice. 
Promoting people with disabilities as a valued person, celebrated as a whole human being, respected, 
sharing of positive stories/practices in schools that work.  
Important to highlight ableism and highlight those working against it. 
Panel discussed what ableism looks like in your school – showing what it is and how a school goes 
against this. NZEI is looking at a panel discussion perhaps we could do something like that. 
Star Jam shows great stories, and we should use everyday images with disabled students participating 
alongside peers in arts and music and learning. 
Share positive whanau perspectives of disability and valuing disabled children/students. 
Tiktok has some great videos from disabled people and their perspective  
Key takeaways: Important to get the conversation started across the various TC communication 
platforms, easy to access material/stories, and variety of different media e.g., info graphics/ videos/ 
links/readings etc. 
Members were keen to see sharing about disability and inclusion/diversity related issues on a regular 
basis by TC and felt it was valuable to keep the conversation going. SF and FWM to consider how to do 
•  TCIEAG members to email feedback and thoughts on increasing conversations/messages about 
inclusive education/ableism/celebrating diversity to SF. 
•  SF to bring back ideas on this to keep actions going 
SF and FMW – left hui at 11:04AM 

PRAG update and ECE Regulations Review Tranche 3 discussion 

LT joined the hui @ 11:05Am 
Physical restraint update 
•  PRAG (Physical Restraint Advisory Group) hui last met February 2021, met again 3 November 2021 
•  Public consultation on draft Rules and Guidelines expected late Nov 2021 to Feb 2022 – including a 
•  Teaching Council will encourage the profession to provide feedback.  
Suggestions included panel discussions with different perspectives and particularly from educators who 
had managed to minimise/eliminate restraint in their educational settings. 
Discussed the TCIEAG being part of the submission from the Governing Council but would be advised 
from this group. 
Timeframe is narrow from Nov to Feb, and TCIEAG members are keen to provide their input the 
governing council for consultation/submission. LT wil  keep us informed and perhaps TCIEAG will meet 
once the consultation is started, either Dec/Jan to al ow time for final submission in Feb 2022. 
ACTION: LT to inform TCIEAG when public consultation and submission on PRAG begins. Frian to 
convene a meeting for TCIEAG to provide feedback based on availability in Dec or Jan. 
ECE Regulations Review Tranche 3 discussion 
LT discussed the submission sent out for tranche two and what the TC wil  submit for tranche three. 
THM noted there is nothing in consultation around inclusion. AS ECE is not compulsory, there were no 
stipulations about inclusion, and complaints go through to HRC once MOE has failed to resolve. Perhaps 
we should look at referencing international and national frameworks that NZ has signed up to: UNCRPD 
article 24, UNCRC, Disability Strategy, EGL principles. 
Regulations could include guidelines for ECE centres on using conventions and creating inclusion. More 
groundwork is required to assist mainstream to accept and include the student. Inclusive education 
understanding is urgently needed. 
Al  centres have an extensive licensing criterion which I believe ERO is guided by, but very little focus on 
inclusion of disabled children. 
Is there perhaps scope to ensure that ECE have inclusion criteria/framework in place? Inclusive of 
physical/sensory disability, review ratios of support required, support funding needs and specialists to 
be considered as it is capped when extra assistance is required. 
JUDE left hui @ Noon 
Perhaps a LSC or SENCO or liaison role equivalent in ECE is needed to ensure inclusive education 
practice in ECE. Need to have early identification built into regulations submission, as there is too much 
variance regionally. Need to build better communication and relationships between ECE and schools 
early on. Avoid too many layers and paper pushing, so ākonga and whanau experience have smooth 
transitions and necessary support. 
LC – agree need someone but it should be a person who is already doing this work within the centre 
and Kura – need a liaison with next centre so they understand and are ready for the tamariki. Some 
schools don’t know where to go for support and how to access support from MoE.  

FW There is a clear need for better processes and a person who is responsible to ensure inclusion and 
support for disabled tamariki in ECE, including transitions at school, coordination of specialist supports 
and communication with whanau.  Many ECEs do not know how to access specialist supports and 
neither do whanau. 
Libby left the hui @ 12:12pm  
ACTION:  LT to circulate the ECE reg review tranche 3 once received for consultation. 

ITE Symposium – briefing and discussion 
KT joined at 1:10  

PW joined at 1:20 
ITEAG has been on hold but is starting up soon. More ITE partnerships were needed with community 
groups and many practitioners are seeking more practical experience. TC and MoE continue to have 
discussions regarding this. 
Relationships are a mutual responsibility and a specified goal. Some partnerships are with Kura/ 
schools/ iwi/advocacy groups/community groups and others. Nature of relationship varies depending 
on the group, context, and community. 
One issue is the timing and a pragmatic approach. An approval panel is looking for an initial stage of 
partnership and looking to strengthen over time. 
TC approval has a section on partnerships and includes partnership development and focus. We expect 
to see evidence on the formation of partnerships. This includes discussion selection of process, entry, 
and professional development of Kaiako. We expect to see strong relationships once this is settled and 
In section 1.3, we can set a condition where they can work on and come back to the table for us to 
review. Many providers have a condition set on 1.3, which is the one on 1.3. Many of these sits at 
University Level. This can be due to large organisations where partnerships are an issue. 
An example from AUT was given noting the extension of partnership with lead (disabled youth).  
Next steps 
•  Strengthening the authentic partnerships and how they work in practice 
•  Teaching Council kaimahi have a shared goal to investigate partnerships and run a symposium 
to build capability and scope. 
•  Explore what ako partnerships could look like, particularly with over- stretched Iwi. 
•  Explore the wide variety of possible partnerships, particularly those that could enhance student 
teachers understandings of supporting students’ learning and behaviour. 
Symposium 29 Nov – TCIEAG to present and share the importance of inclusive education and ITE – 
community group partnerships to improve inclusive education through ITE programs.   
•  Questions: What are some barriers and enablers to building partnerships with 
community/interest groups? 
•  What is one thing you would want the Council to initiate in support of building authentic 
partnerships to support inclusive education? 
PW – what wil  be intersection of TC – MoE and new Disabled Peoples Ministry – what will be their part 
in the ITE space. MOE has already indicated that they are looking to consider EGL principles in the 

Highest Needs Review, but no detailed action plan or strategy to connect with the new Ministry. TC 
needs to get on board early, as it is a new way of looking at and supporting the disability community. 
Approval panel is the beginning of a program’s life and this is approximately 6 years. They are reviewed 
every year for the 1st 3 and then dependant on programme. Monitoring is being reviewed and the TC 
could build this into this review. 
Are there any must haves to sit on an ITE approval panel? Are there any whanau? 
Look at each panel to ensure it meets the needs of the sector it’s from. i.e., an ECE specialist we do 
take this into consideration, all panellists need to indicate their experience and background knowledge. 
Try to make sure the program has an inclusive lens. Currently no whanau. 
Representation is needed around the table when building a framework and making changes. This is a 
core part and there is a gap in ITE. The issue is around clarity across Aotearoa within inclusion practice 
and protocol – we need to define this before we can have the right representation on a panel. ITE 
review must ensure inclusion is entwined in the program and approval process. 
What is doable? Is there value in us setting up opportunities for groups to come together and discuss 
their capacity/expectations so you can take this forward? 
Perhaps yes, from TC perspective this is early in the discussion.  Discussions with providers and 
groups/connections need to happen. We have had a trial symposium a few months ago which had 89 
people to come along – there is a real hunger out there for connections. 
•  TC to consider putting together an advisory group of young disabled people to share their lived 
experiences and guide TC work in ITE and other spaces. 
•  TC to improve connections and build relationships with disabled youth/people’s networks and 
other stakeholders interested in inclusive education. 
•  Consider setting up a directory of community groups that ITE providers can connect with.  Stipulate 
ITE providers engage with some of them; and approval is contingent on engagement with them.   
•  Include disabled people/whanau voices/inclusion experts in the ITE approval panels in some sort of 
advisory capacity to ensure inclusion.   
•  TC to consider ways to incentivise inclusive education within ITE providers. 
ACTION: KT to send and people to feedback when ready 

Improving TC communications and engagement in ITE space – briefing 
and discussion 
KT noted we are launching a bul etin with student teachers – KUKARI. This wil  allow sign up from 
student teachers, and a way to connect and build early understanding, capability, and knowledge of the 
education sector about our professional standards and codes. 
We wil  seek information once we send this out to ensure we include inclusive messaging. 

TCM – how does the TC ensure they do not exclude ITE teachers with disabilities? Is this something that 
TC reviews? 
KT – this is not our remit – groups did mention they have seen an increase in this space 
PW – noted upcoming consultation and the council’s commitment to assist with issues facing the sector 
Tamahau R and Pauline B joined at 2:40PM 
PS joined us at 2:43PM 
10 Professional Responsibility Review: Competence Workshop 
Introduced the agenda item PR and TCC purpose is to introduce you in the review work and TR is going 
to discuss the mahi is progressing in this space 
Discussing why we are proposing, what needs to happen, and seek feedback on current thoughts 
around change. Intent is for more efficient & effective process, serve teachers better, law changes that 
wil  drive change, preserve mana of teachers, more assessors for faster processing, be te tiriti lead, 
keep them in the profession, restorative approach and recognition of the environmental factors, apply 
natural justice.  
TR discussed the lens being used as Te ao Māori led regulatory process shared with like-minded 
organisations and how we could learn off each other. SWREG – NZNC- WSNZ. Currently different 
organisations each use different approaches. TC decided to set a framework of the model and define 
the terms for those who may use them. Have held space for a Pasifika, this shows the draft ‘space’ for 
more development moving forward. 
We looked at 4 principles Te ao Māori – kind – cultural values – focus on person and whanau. Trialling 
for the next 6 months we are focusing on triage area of the process. Groups wil  work together to build 
and learn. PB noted it is ground-breaking. There is no programme like it to benchmark and this takes 
time.  Looking to move people’s thinking not just fix the process. The partners have an evaluation 
process for each other. 
Improving triage process may involve having a te ao Māori lens. Seeking the voice of the Kaiako before 
triage committee meets and trial ing a Kaituitui someone to responsible to act as a guide in a relational 
way. This would not be an investigator but someone who understands the role and process.  
Currently triage NFA (No Further Action) is at approximately 50% and may change with early voice of the 
TCIEAG members real y appreciated the te ao Māori lens placed on the process and how wel  it had 
been done to maintain mana and dignity of teacher going through the process.   
ACTION – send TR’s presentation to the members via email.   
Triage and Competence issues arise when knowledge and skil  to meet standards are not met – TC is 
getting a definition in place on what matters are competence and conduct – competence is seen as 
covering the standards 
Competence issues are referred to the profession/employer. We are working on this to assist with the 
1.  How do you differentiate competence and conduct? 
2.  Do you agree with competence going back to employer? 
That process is hard when the competence goes back to their employer as the issue is  back to the 
community where it didn’t work in the first place. Not okay. Competence is seen as an individual 

teacher’s issue, but often it is a school wide or whole school culture issue. Systemic issues are at play 
and must be considered too. 
One thing to consider is that we do not have an inclusive education system. When an issue like 
discrimination/ableism is sent back to the organisation, it is considered as justified behaviour because 
TC didn’t act. There isn’t an outcome for the complainants so sending things back to them is often not 
useful. This has been the case for most parents who lodged complaints against discrimination and lack 
of inclusive teaching practices. 
PB shared that it wil  be a good discussion to have, and TC are looking into training and practice that 
would be required in this space. Links to conference and cost analysis would be useful.  
ACTION – TC team to discuss at next meeting, children rights and how they are upheld against natural 
justice and code and standards for teaching profession.  
•  TC engage ex Children’s Commissioner Judge Andrew Becroft to have a look into how TC conduct 
and competence areas can be more aware, responsive, and mindful of upholding children and 
disabled people’s rights (UNCRC and UNCRPD). 
•  TC to consider training for all who sit on triage, competence and conduct committees/DT to better 
understand children’s rights to inclusive education. 
Liz left at 4:05 pm  
11  Closing remarks and deliberations on recommendations and actions 
MK wil  be attending and presenting at the Australasian Disability Conference and will feedback to the 
AG at next hui. FW emphasised the need to carry on conversations about to deliver information on 
inclusion to the profession, what kind of info and how. HL stressed the importance of the right 
messages and understanding of inclusion. 
12  Closing and Karakia 
The meeting adjourned at 4:27pm with a karakia by Chair. 
Signed__________________________________ Dated___4th Feb 2022______________ 
Frian Wadia 
Chair - Teaching Council Inclusive Education Advisory Group 

Document Outline