This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Laws governing honorary consuls and how to make a complaint against one'.

New Zealand Ministry of 
Foreign Affairs and Trade 
Manatū Aorere   
4 May 2021 
195 Lambton Quay 
Private Bag 18−901 
Wellington 6160 
New Zealand 
T    +64 4 439 8000 
[FYI request #15053 email] 
F    +64 4 472 9596 
OIA 27362 
Tēnā koe Mya 
I refer to your email of 1 April 2021 in which you request the following under the Official 
Information Act 1982 (OIA).  We have responded below to both parts of your request:  
“1. Is a New Zealand consul residing abroad required to abide by New Zealand law, 
even if such a person is an honorary consul? 

New Zealand Honorary Consuls are subject to the local laws within the jurisdictions in which 
they reside, as in most cases they are nationals or residents of that country. 
2. How do you lodge a complaint under New Zealand law against an honorary consul?”  
The complainant should make a written complaint to the New Zealand overseas mission that 
has supervisory responsibility for the Honorary Consul.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and 
Trade’s head office in Wellington can advise on the supervising mission if required.  Here is 
the link to contact us: 
Matters relating to the performance or behaviour of an Honorary Consul can be raised with 
us but legal or criminal matters should be taken up with the relevant local jurisdiction. 
Please note that we may publish this letter (with your personal details redacted) on the 
Ministry’s website. 
You have the right under section 28(3) of the OIA to seek a review of this response by the 
Nāku noa, nā 
Julie-Anne Lee 
for Secretary of Foreign Affairs and Trade 
e   [MFAT request email]