16 October 2020
45 Pipitea Street, Wel ington 6011
Phone +64 4 495 7200
Email [email address]
OIA request 2021-0168 Request for information regarding Birth Notice (RG-9) Document
Thank you for your Official Information Act (Act) request received by the Department of
Internal Affairs (Department) on 18 September 2020.
You requested –
1. Why was my Birth Notice RG-9 destroyed?
2. Who was the individual that authorised the destruction of my Birth Notice RG-9?
3. Under what law does that individual have the right to destroy my Birth Notice RG-9?
4. Under what Legislation does that individual have the right to destroy my Birth Notice
5. Who is authorised to destroy my Birth Notice RG-9?
6. As the details that would have appeared on my Birth Notice RG-9 still exist with BDM
but on another paper record. What would prevent BDM in law or legislation to create
my Birth Notice RG-9 with the details they already hold?
In response to your request I can provide you with the fol owing information.
I can advise you that your RG-9 Birth Notice form was destroyed as a result of a schedule
Births Deaths and Marriages Circular 1999/1- issued on 3 February 1999, by the Registrar-
Please see Appendix A, attached, for a copy of the BDM Records Disposal & Retention
Schedule - Source Documents. This schedule outlines the information you seek in questions
1-5 of your request.
In response to question 6 of your request I can advise you that the Department is unable to
recreate an original document, and RG-9 Birth Notice form is a historical form which has
since been superseded.
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision.
Information about how to make a complaint is available at www.ombudsman.parliament.nz
or freephone 0800 802 602.
Manager Branch Development and Support
Service Delivery and Operations
Page 2 of 2