[IN CONFIDENCE RELEASE EXTERNAL]
8 October 2020
[FYI request #13806 email]
Dear Mr Bruce
Thank you for your request made under the Official Information Act 1982 (the OIA),
received on 15 September 2020. You requested the following:
…the % breakdown of responses on the KS2 form (Kiwisaver Deduction Form)
regarding the opt-in's for the levels of opt in for the Kiwisaver scheme (3, 4, 6, 8
or 10 per cent rates), by year for the last 5 years.
The table below provides the percentage of KiwiSaver members on each contribution
rate for the 2019-20 and previous four financial years.
1. Data includes KiwiSaver members who are on PAYE. It excludes members who file
IR3 tax returns for non-PAYE sources of income.
2. Data includes KiwiSaver members who made at least one contribution in a financial
3. Data includes 'Active' or 'Provisional' members in a financial year. This includes
KiwiSaver members who are active for part of the year.
4. The contribution rate is derived using the formula: KiwiSaver Contribution/Gross
5. The contribution rates of 6% and 10% were introduced on 1 April 2019.
6. There are some instances where employees have allowances that are not subject
to KiwiSaver. When compared to gross income the rate will not be one of the
standard rates. These have not been provided.
Thank you for your request.
Sharyn Rea Segment Management Lead
Customer and Compliance Services Individuals