This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Official Information request 'Money spent enticing mining companies to extract resources from public land.'.

5 August 2019 
Hannah Enderby 
Email: [FYI request #10720 email] 
Dear Hannah 
Thank  you  for  your  Official  Information  Act  request  to  the  Department  of 
Conservation, dated 11 July 2019. You requested the following:  
How much money do you pay each year to mining companies 2015-2019; 
Which mining companies paid DOC money in the last 3 years and what were the 

We  requested  some  further  information  from  you  in  order  to  clarify  and 
appropriately  scope  your  request  and  advised  that  unless  we  could  do  so  that  we 
would  likely  recover  the  research  and  collation costs  from  you.  On  18th  of  July  you 
advised via email: 
I have witnessed the ineptitude and inefficiency of d.o.c paperwork activities 
before, so I will pass on your offer to fleece me for public information.” 
In terms of your first question, our response is noted below: 
1.   “How much money do you pay each year to mining companies 2015-2019” 
The Department has not paid any monies to mining companies over the years 
In terms of your second question: 
2.  Which mining companies paid DOC money in the last 3 years and what 
were the sums?” 
I  regret  that  I  am  not  able  to  provide  you  with  the  information  you  seek. 
Without refinement, your request would require substantial collation for which 
the  recovery  of  these  costs  would  be  required.  For  context,  the  Department 
receives  monies from mining companies as  cost  recovery  for processing  fees 
for  staff  to  process  applications  for  a  range  of  approvals  required  for  access. 
There are also a range of other fees regularly received from mining companies 
including  file management  fees and  fees paid  as  compensation for  ecological 
disturbance  and/or  industrial  intrusion  onto  public  conservation  land.  You 
have  requested  this  information  over  a  period  of  three  years.  Your  email 
response  on  18th  July,  indicated  that  you  do  not  wish  to  accept  the  charges 
associated with researching and collating the response, in which case we are 

declining  to  respond  under  section  18(f):  that  the  information 
requested cannot be made available without substantial collation or 
You are entitled to seek an investigation and review of my decision by writing to an 
Ombudsman as provided by section 28(3) of the Official Information Act. 
Yours sincerely, 
Marie Long 
Director, Planning Permissions and Land